October: Box Jade Saga

As clever as I felt for recovering my Razer BlackWidow keycaps to use on the keyboard project I just finished, I found that the Box Jade switches outright rejected them. The O, F7, F and G caps kept popping off of their keys. I tried filing the stems to make them fit better, but had no success. So, I bit the proverbial bullet and bought a keycap set. I couldn't afford the really expensive ($100) set that I love most, but I could afford a relatively inexpensive ($20) OEM profile set from the keyboard manufacturer (meaning the cap sizes would definitely work with the key spacing on the board). So I ordered that one and replaced all the caps on my board.

(Also pictured: Razer Ornata)

It certainly looks much better with a matched set.
I was absolutely shocked, however, to discover that the sound and feel was notably worse with the new caps. Sad, but not a deal breaker by any means.

Comments