February: Computer Rebuild

 Not too long ago, tragedy struck. My personal computers typically serve for 7-10 years, meaning I was keen on performing an upgrade at the beginning of this year. My system had grown long in the tooth and was beginning to display its inability to keep up with modern demands. Typically, I will build my own computer. However, in the year that is 2020, the global pandemic has created a situation where many commodities are in rare or short supply. Computer components are definitely an affected group. Seeing how difficult it could be to acquire all of the necessary pieces and not wanting to get backed into a corner where I would willingly spend more money on certain pieces of my computer (video card) than were reasonable, I thought I might try out a pre-built computer this go-round.

I am not a fan of pre-built computers for three reasons. First, I don't get to build it myself. Second, pre-built computers are either more expensive or kitted with sub-par components in order to maintain an attractive price. Third, pre-built computers are not known for their exceptional lifespans. Nevertheless, I forged ahead and purchased a premade system.


It arrived in short order and it worked fantastically well. So, I cleaned up my old computer, reformatted it and promptly got rid of it. Then, less than a week after initializing my new rig, it stopped working.

And thus, I have been without a computer ever since. 

Now, after carefully selecting the core components of my replacement system and patiently waiting for stock, I have finally acquired all of the pieces necessary to build a computer once again. This is the first post, just showing the product boxes of the pieces which have already arrived, in what I assume will be a chain of posts showing the process of building my new computer and getting it running.



Comments