October: Building the Fountain

The final big task for the game setup that I wanted to accomplish before calling the prototype of my card game complete was a "fountain" or information tracking center for each player. The idea was to provide a concise at-a-glance area where players could understand the game state and use that information to strategize their next move. On 10/11/2019, with only hours to spare before an impending play test, I had my latest concept designed, printed and ready to be cut and glued. I just barely finished in time. With the sheets complete, a hastily measured piece of posterboard cut to size, and some photo holder corners ($14 for everything), I cut, then sprayed the pieces.

I think the fountain was incredibly helpful to the play test and really added a lot to the game. I still think the game should be easy to play without the fountain, so there is a strong driving force toward simplifying the mechanics of it so that it is not as confusing. But the fountain definitely helps.
As expected, I've already developed an update for the fountain to make it function better. That will have to be created along with everything else with the new version of the game.

Comments