October: Status and Effect Icons

Tracking the statuses and effects applied to Champions is a matter of contention with the card game I've created - at least in my mind. There are enough of these occurring on a regular basis that it is confusing to keep track of. I wanted to develop a convenient and easy to understand system to aid in this pursuit. To that end, I purchased some centimeter cubes (this is actually the second iteration of the idea) which I then emblazoned the first letter of each effect on.

Play testing has shown this to be a good approach to the problem, however, I still feel like there are too many different effects to track, so I am going to be reworking the game to address that weakness to the best of my abilities.
For reference, the first iteration of the status and effect tracking concept actually didn't track statuses at all (Champion buffs), and instead relied on the players to remember what the status of their Champions was. My brother Art pointed out that not only was this difficult for the player to do effectively and consistently, but it was also incredibly difficult for their opponent to know if and when a status might negatively affect an action they planned to take. This observation was perhaps the largest driving force behind the effort to rework the tracking system. Previously, I used a set of metal blanks which had the effect letters punched onto them. I had meant to color these letters to aid with readability and make them more immediately recognizable, however even with that change this system was still difficult to use. That's why I moved to the centimeter cubes instead.

Comments